Originally, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) was created with the intent to prohibit any illegal usage of patient information. Valuable patient information is kept private and safe with HIPAA-compliant medical transcription services. A HIPAA-compliant medical transcription service provider guarantees that the patient records are handled with great care. There are several things to take into consideration when outsourcing medical transcription services.
Maintaining The Security And Confidentiality Of Patient Data
The first consideration to keep in mind when outsourcing medical transcription services is to ensure the company maintains the discretion of all assigned data. A dependable organization employs a group of experts well-trained in applying safety measures that preserve the confidentiality of patient information against unlawful leaks during data transfer. The internal team is thoroughly screened and background-checked.
Staff members are required to sign a confidentiality agreement, which states that legal action will be taken against those who commit a breach of confidentiality. Transcriptionists deliver the completed transcripts safely and in an appropriate time period. You can get transcripts for a variety of medical records such as patient history and physical examination reports, procedure notes, progress notes, clinic notes, consultation, health, laboratory, scan, operative and X-ray reports, discharge summaries, follow-up notes, and more.
When outsourcing medical transcription, ensure there are safety measures in place to make certain that all medical records they handle are protected.
Experience And Quality
With the importance of the content that is worked on, you should be able to count on the company you choose when outsourcing medical transcription. There are many ways to discover what kind of clients and work the company has done in the past to see how they can contribute to you now. Once you have been able to see who they have worked with and even read reviews, you can have a better understanding of the company as a whole. Things to look for in other people’s experiences can help you decide if the company stands out.
Safety Guarantees Required When Outsourcing Medical Transcription
With the increased demand for higher quality medical records documentation, healthcare facilities have an increasing trend toward outsourcing medical transcription services. To ensure you are finding a company that provides excellent work when outsourcing medical transcription, consider these 11 safety guarantees:
- Computers are password protected with a strong encryption
- Files are backed up on a monthly basis
- Personnel are not allowed to bring in floppies/electronic devices, including laptops, PDA, or written documents
- Security software is updated regularly
- Proper safety measures are implemented while transferring, receiving, and storing electronically protected patient data
- Firewalls and antivirus software on all computers are updated on a regular basis
- Periodic technical evaluations to ensure that all systems meet specified security requirements
- The entire workforce is trained to maintain privacy, confidentiality, and security
- All external drives, including floppy disk drives and USB ports, are disabled to prevent illegal copying of documents
- All tools used for data storage are protected with passwords
- Prevents unauthorized alteration, deletion, or revelation of patient’s health-related information
When outsourcing medical transcription needs, it is important to seek the services of an established medical transcription service provider that ensures total confidentiality for patient data.
Here at Fast Chart, we are committed to only hiring domestically located Medical Transcriptionists that meet our rigorous standards and training. This is why Fast Chart has an accuracy rate greater than 98.5%. We pride ourselves on providing innovative, accurate, and affordable clinical documentation solutions to meet each client’s unique needs. Feel free to contact us or call our office toll-free at 1-800-334-6606 with any questions about outsourcing medical transcription, or for other clinical documentation and technology solutions.